topswish

Our History

There have been many parallels in the development of Addison, Orion and Oxford Townships. All three were at one time part of Oakland Township. Settlements were stared in the 1820's and 1830's. Pioneers in all these areas were faced with unusually difficult problems because of the rugged terrain and the abundance of lakes and marshes.

All were isolated farming communities before the coming of the Detroit and Bay City Railroad in 1872, and the Pontiac, Oxford, Port Austin Railroad (the Poor Old Polly Ann) ten years later. The Railroads gave new life to this area as they opened up a whole new world of commerce and travel opportunities in and out of northeast Oakland County.

Addison Township:
It's oldest settlement is Lakeville, located at the southern tip of the Lake which was created when Stoney Creek was dammed. The Village of Leonard, established because of the railroad, was known for it's production of agricultural baskets.

Orion Township:
Lake Orion was a popular resort town in the early 1900's. Crowds poured in on 4 daily trains and the inter-urban railway to picnic on Park Island. It had a carousel and a popular dance hall pavilion. 'Thriller' was a wooden roller coaster that went out over the lake. A double-decker, 250 passenger excursion boat, 'The City of Orion,' cruised Lake Orion.

Oxford Township:
Oxford sits on a huge gravel vein left by the glaciers. Mining began in 1911 and by the 1950's there were five companies mining here. Oxford became known as 'The Gravel Capital of the World', shipping 5 million tons of gravel a year.

Hours & Info

rightscroll

museumhours

Thursday 1pm - 4pm

Saturday 1pm - 4pm


Field Trips and Group Tours by Appointment

 (248) 628-8413

The Northeast Oakland Historical Museum is located on the corner of North Washington Street (M-24) and Burdick Street. The address of the building is One North Washington Street in Oxford, Michigan.

1 N. Washington
Oxford MI 48371

Driving Directions

like us facebook